This list of the 50 best audio books for kids will show you the best titles available organised by the age of your child. Find a title suitable for them that they can listen to on their iPod or that you can play in the car on the way to school or during your roadtrip.
Audiobooks can be a great way to get your kids involved in novels and books, they are engaging and fun to listen to. Listening to audio books can also help your kids become better readers and they learn to engage with stories for longer periods of time.
Not all children learn visually through the written text, I myself learn things much more effectively through listening than I do through reading. Growing up it was very hard to gain access to audio books for kids, but now they are available at the click of your mouse (or tap of your finger).
Throughout this article I will include appropriate links to Audible. Audible is the largest marketplace for audiobooks anywhere in the world and has the largest variety of kids titles compared to any other online store.
There are many other “top audiobooks” lists out there but in my searches I could not find a page that actually showed you the best age appropriate audio books for kids. There was always a book for toddlers mixed in with books for young teens which would give young children nightmares.
This article contains 50 of the best audio books for kids if they are aged between 0-13.
So without further adieu I introduce to you my ultimate list for the best audio books for kids of all ages.
Best Audio Books For Kids Aged 0-2
I have specifically highlighted the best audio books for kids in the 0-2 age bracket. These titles are fun loving, fairly short and are entertaining without elements of fear or concepts such as ‘bad guys’ or ‘evil’. This is a great way to introduce your children to audiobooks.
I have a 3 year old and a 1.5 year old and I find that car rides are so much more enjoyable for them (and for me) when you are listening to an entertaining audiobook. My daughter originally only wanted to listen to the wiggles, but now she loves audio books.
1. The Little Engine That Could – Watty Piper
2. Llama Llama, Red Pjama – Anna Dewdney
3. The Wheels On The Bus And Other Children’s Songs – AudioGO
4. Clifford The Big Red Dog – Norman Bridwell
5. 50 Favourite Nursery Rhymes – BBC Audiobooks
6. The Very Busy Spider – Eric Carle
7. The Cat in the Hat – Dr. Seuss
8. Froggy’s Best Christmas – Jonathan London
9. Peppa Pig: Dentist Trip and Other Stories – Ladybird
10. Charlotte’s Web – A.B. White
Top 10 AudioBooks For Kids Aged 2-4
The best audio books for kids in the toddler age bracket are a little bit longer than the ones for the 0-2 age group. They also have more diverse storylines where the main character has to overcome some element of fear, evil or bad. However, I have found them to be fairly tame and very entertaining.
1. Winnie The Pooh – A.A. Milne
2. There Was An Old Lady Who Swallowed A Fly – Simms Taback
3. Beatrix Potter (Peter Rabbit Tales) – Beatrix Potter
4. The Graffalo – Julia Donaldson
5. Goldilocks and the Three Bears – Carolyn Beuhner + Mark Beuhner
6. Pooh Goes Visiting – Stephen Fry
7. Hansel and Gretal – Larry Carney
8. Sleeping Beauty – Jacob Grimm + Wilhelm Grimm
9. Dinosaurs Never Say Please – Bill Harley
10. The Emper0r’s New Clothes – Hans Christian Anderson
The Greatest AudioBooks For Children Aged 5-7
These 10 best audio books for children aged 5-7 are great because they start becoming entertaining for us adults as well. The stories are longer and have more elements of surprise. The characters also go on longer transformational journey’s than they did in the previous age brackets.
These audiobooks give your children an opportunity to listen to longer narratives and to learn about different character’s journeys. These are fun to listen to and will keep you on the edge of your seat. Some of these audiobooks are kid’s classics that you may remember from when you were young.
1. The Wonderful Wizard of Oz – L. Frank Baum
2. Alice In Wonderland – Lewis Carrol
3. Peter Pan – J.M. Barrie
4. Skippyjon Jones in the Dog-House – Judy Schachner
5. How To Train Your Dragon – Cressida Cowell
6. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory – Roald Dahl
7. 101 Dalmatians – Dodie Smith
8. The Wind in the Willows – Kenneth Grahame
9. Mr Popper’s Penguins – Richard Atwater + Florence Atwater
10. James and the Giant Peach – Roald Dahl
10 Best Audio Books For Kids Aged Between 8-10
The best audio books for kids in the 8-10 age group are action packed, full of bad guys that the main character has to defeat and stories of adventure and discovery. That is what you are in for with these audiobooks for children aged 8-10.
You little kids are starting to grow up and become more self confident and that is exactly what many of these stories are about. Young children growing up, being brave and becoming more confident in and of themselves.
Listen along with your children and then talk about the story are the dinner table. What do you think will happen? Why do you think the character made that decision? Analyze how they changed and grew up throughout the story.
1. The Lightning Thief – Rick Riordan
2. The Merchant Of Death – D. J. MacHale
3. A Wrinkle In Time – Madeleine L’Engle
4. Little Women – Louisa May Alcott
5. The Secret Garden – Frances Hodgson Burnett
6. Magic Tree House Collection – Mary Pope Osborne
7. The One and Only Ivan – Katherine Applegate + Patricia Castelao
8. Treasure Island – Robert Louis Stevenson
9. 39 Clues – Gordon Korman
10. Diary of a Wimpy Kid – Jeff Kinney
Unforgettable AudioBook Novels For Children Aged 11-13
Your children are now what my dad used to call “tenagers”. Over the age of 10 but not quite teenagers, though it is obvious they want to be teenagers.
Many of the best audio books for kids aged 11-13 years that I have listed here are best sellers and are very mainstream. The Hunger Games and Harry Potter series are great and kids love them. Your children are now getting older and they love these stories.
Some of these stories do have violence in them so you need to decide what you are comfortable exposing your children to. Hunger games involves children killing each other (though it isn’t as bad as you think in the story). Harry Potter has the Evil Wizard Voldemort and the Alex Rider series is full of suspense and near death experiences as this 14 year old lives the life of a spy.
Very exciting stories and I am looking forward to when my kids are older so we can listen to these audiobooks together.
1. Ender’s Game – Orson Scott Card
2. The Hunger Games Trilogy – Suzanne Collins
3. The Harry Potter Series – J.K. Rowling
4. Found: The Missing – Margaret Peterson Haddix
5. Alex Rider Teenage Spy Series – Anthony Horowitz
6. Diary of a Wimpy Kid – Jeff Kinney
7. Magyk – Angie Sage
8. Where the Red Fern Grows – Wilson Rawls
9. Fire Season – David Weber + Jane Lindskold
10. The Adventures of Tom Sawyer – Mark Twain
Final Thoughts About The Best AudioBooks For Kids
They say that the majority of the population never read a book from start to finish after they leave high school. This is a sad statistic but something you can have an impact on.
If you teach your children to love stories when they are young they will continue to love stories as they get older. Audiobooks are a great way to consume content because it is so much easier than reading a book and so much more engaging.
It might take me a month to finish a book, but I can listen to 2-3 audiobooks per week while I am driving around in my car. Listen to just one audio book per week and you will get through my list of the 50 best audio books for kids in just 1 year. Imagine how much better off your kids will be after listening to 50 great engaging stories!
I strongly encourage you to invest in at least on of these audio books for your children as there is no better place to start than this list of the 50 best audio books for kids. You almost can’t go wrong by starting with one of these titles.
If you are interested in audio books for yourself check out our ultimate guide – The 200 Best Audio Books Of All Time: Listed by Category